We at Flower Blog hope everyone had a wonderful Father’s Day this past Sunday! This week’s DIY from Stars and Sunshine takes crafting to a whole new creative level, but you don’t have to be a pro to make these thumb tacks! What’s great about making things out of resin is you can turn them into earrings, magnets, wall art, or details on other household items.
- Silicon mold (chrysanthemum flower mold used for this tutorial)
- Resin (author used three different resin dyes in this tutorial– an opaque white, transparent blue, and transparent green)
- Push Pins
- Food scale (if available)
1. Mix about 10oz. of resin according to directions on the box (follow them exactly even if they seem tedious!) using a food scale to ensure even quantities of resin and hardener.
2. Add a few drops of dye, and pour the resin into the mold. Authors note: I did lots of shaking/taping the mold (carefully to avoid spilling!) to release any bubbles formed in the fairly intricate mold.
3. Set the filled mold aside to dry overnight (at least 12 hours), and pop them out it the morning.
4. Superglue the flowers onto plain silver pushpins.
Viola! the cutest thumbtacks the world has ever seen!