Chocolate Dipped Fruit on a Stick, KID FRIENDLY!
Ok, admittedly this recipe doesn’t involve flowers directly, but the way you arrange this kid-friendly recipe from Family Fresh Cooking makes it look like an edible arrangement (and it is!). Dads: have the kids help make these for a great (and personal) Mother’s Day snack:
- Mom’s favourite Chocolate (about 1 ounce per person)
- Mom’s favourite fruits: dried, fresh etc. A mix of fruit is fun. think beyond strawberries.
- Mom’s favourite toppings: Sprinkles, Toasted Nuts, Coarse Sugar, Stevia Granules, Brown Sugar, Maple Sugar, Cacao Nibs, etc.
- Mom’s favourite spices: Cardamom, Cinnamon, Ginger, Cayenne, Nutmeg, Pumpkin Pie Spice, All Spice
Tip: If you use larger fruits such as bananas or apples, simply cut to bite sized pieces before you dip. Not rocket science and that makes it all the more fun.
- Wash and dry all fruit. If you are using any large fruit (apples, bananas), be sure to cut them into bite sized pieces. Have toppings handy in small bowls.
- In a medium sauce pan bring 1 inch of water to a rolling boil.
- Put desired amount of chocolate in a heat safe metal bowl. This bowl is going to nest inside the saucepan, be sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water inside.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and put chocolate nesting bowl on top of the saucepan. Chocolate will gradually melt. Stir with a spatula and add Stevia or any spices. TIP: Leave chocolate over simmering water bath while you dip fruit so it does not harden.
- Pierce berries and other fruits onto skewers, dip in chocolate. If the pieces of fruit are large enough you can gently dip holding with your fingers. Roll in toppings.
- Use your favorite chocolate to melt. Some melt better than others. You need to experiment. I love unsweetened dark 99% cacao and I sweeten it to taste with stevia powder or drops.
- Spice or don’t spice, up to you and your taste preference.
- I like the bain marie (water bath) method to melt chocolate. This is the most gentle way to melt it. If you prefer the microwave you can do that too.
Note: some fruits (like mandarin slices) may not stay on the skewers, but that’s okay! Just arrange them on a plate or in a bowl for Mom to enjoy!