Ok Sports Fans, remember how we left last week’s DIY post on a foreshadowy note? Well here’s why! You can turn that simple ribbon flower into a gorgeous brooch or appliqué to any purse, hat, anything you want! Check out this awesome tutorial compliments of Make it Do and sport your own Ribbon Flower Pin—you’ll be amazed at how many compliments you’ll receive!
• 2-4 yards of wire ribbon (depending on how large and tight you want your flower) (I used one and 1/2 inch wide ribbon.)
• quilting thread or other strong thread
• small amount of felt
• hair clip or pin (or both)
1. Pull on the wire of one side of the ribbon to ruffle. Ruffle the entire length of your piece of ribbon. Not all wire ribbon is the same. Some are more fragile, so pull gently. Leave a few inches wire hanging out from the ends, but clip away the rest to get it out of your way.
2. To start, fold your ribbon back on forth a few times (on the side of ribbon which you’ve just pulled the wire). Using quilting thread run a stitch through the ribbon several times to secure.
3. Start wrapping the ribbon around. Secure each wrap by stitching all the way through the layers in a star pattern.
6. Cut a circle out of felt to cover the back of the flower. I cut a second layer of felt in a wide strip and secured it with a zigzag on each side. That way I could easily slip in onto a hair clip or a pin.
And finished! Use this ribbon flower to make a bouquet, add as an applique to a jacket, shirt, bag or even pillowcase, the possibilities are endless!